Yumin Primary School has her roots in two Chinese village schools, 'Yook Kiau' and 'Ping Min', in the old Tampines area from 1940 to 1974. The two schools merged in 1975 and was renamed 'Yook Min Primary School'. It was relocated to the present site in 1985 and renamed Yumin Primary School'. In 2003, the school was upgraded under PRIME programme.
Currently the school has an enrolment of 1283 pupils of different ethnic groups. The school offers Chinese and Malay languages as mother tongue languages for pupils.